- How to Make Money Blogging – Guide for 2015
Here’s an overview of the five basic steps to follow if you want to make money blogging:
- Establish your home base
- Produce valuable content
- Build relationships
- Grow your platform (and branch out)
- Choose and implement streams of income
If you’re feeling a bit overwhelmed by the choices, I’ll give you some tips to get started at the end. Please note this post contains affiliate links.
1. Establish your home base
If you want to make money blogging, obviously you’ll need a blog. If you don’t already have one, no worries, simply follow the steps I outlined in How to Start a Blog. This is the easy part (even if you’re not technically-inclined).
2. Produce valuable content
Once you have a blog, write. Draw from your expertise and experience and write informative posts and articles about your chosen topic. Most of all, make them excellent. In order to make money, you have to have visitors, but in order to have visitors, you have to have content worthwhile to visit. This is the time consuming part. It’ll be a while before you start seeing an income. There is no way around this. There are no shortcuts. We all have to put in our time.
3. Build relationships
While you create your content, start building genuine and sincere relationships via social media, commenting, forums and the like. Reach out to people in your niche. Find people who could use the information you provide. Get to know them, interact, be friendly and be helpful by offering no-strings-attached tidbits of your expertise when you can. Building relationships is important for a few reasons:
- If done authentically, these relationships will help you establish a reputation of being trustworthy and generous.
- If no one knows you exist, it’s unlikely you’ll get many visitors. People won’t naturally find you if you don’t put yourself out there.
- It’s very possible these relationships will turn into much more than just acquaintances to chat with online. These people will likely support you in the future and more than that, they may become fantastic, life-long friends.
4. Grow your platform (and branch out)
Keep growing in your knowledge of your craft so the content you produce on your blog gets increasingly great. Use your blog to get exposure, build authority, gain trust and be helpful. A lot of people don’t realize that for many bloggers, much of the money they make does not come from their blog directly. A blog is a platform. It’s online property, a digital home. After proving their trustworthiness, bloggers use their blogs as springboards to launch other projects that bring in income, such as ebooks, books, speaking, products, etc.
5. Choose and implement streams of income
Before we dive into the particulars of income streams, the bonus pack provides an analogy to help you understand what I call the 4-legged approach.